Federal Raids in Montana: What to do TODAY

March 15th, 2011 by John Masterson Leave a reply »

The federal raid live blog continues here.

A lot of people are angry and asking us what they can do.

For today (Tuesday March 15th, 2011), our advice is to take our complaints to our congressional delegation and newspapers.

The core message: You’re upset about the unconscionable federal intrusion that appears timed to meddle with Montana state politics and will harm countless patients.

Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. You can usually find an email address on their ‘Contact’ page; here are a few:
- http://missoulian.com/app/contact/
- http://billingsgazette.com/app/contact/?contact=letter
- http://www.greatfallstribune.com/section/customerservice03
- http://helenair.com/app/contact/
- http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/submissions/?mode=letters
- http://www.dailyinterlake.com/contact_us/

Call the closest office of John Tester, Denny Rehberg, and Max Baucus who work for us in Washington DC:

Call them before noon Tuesday if you can. Concentrating the calls in a single morning will have an impact.

If their representatives tell you anything interesting, please let us know what you’ve learned.

28 comments

1. PLEASE LEAVE OUR LAW ALONE.!!

2. Lavona says:

I have just called Rehbergs office and all they had to say is they will “let the congressman know how I feel” basically no comment from them regarding my dissaproval of what went on yesterday..so typical of politics, booooo!

3. corey rhyne says:

I think wasting our federal dollars to do the states work is a good talking point also.

4. corey rhyne says:

Lavona, what I like to do is ask them to takes notes on what I intend to say. Then I thank them and hand up the phone. Then I wait 5-7 minutes, call them back, and ask them what I said. It worked with Virginia Foxx’s office after a couple months of conditioning.

5. corey rhyne says:

We should all get our asses up before 8am tomorrow and call CSPAN’s Washington Journal. Open phones from 5am to 8am MST.

6. don says:

i called all three, no statements yet from any. tester’s office said it wasn’t the first call they’d received. keep calling folks!!!!!! mr masterson, keep up the good work, freddie v’s job is open next election!

7. brandon says:

i spoke with the office in missoula, eric holden is the one calling the shots on this. true reasons unknown. good guess would be. gov’t has seen a big drop in pill sales due to alternative medicine (cannabis). i personally have healed 3 people of cancer with the oil extract. internal ingestion of the essential oil will cure almost any disease known to man. Gen1:11- all seed bearing plants on earth were given to us to use. And God saw that this was GOOD. give us our god given rights back.

8. JD Junior says:

“We’re just getting swamped with calls, so I’ll ask quickly – you are voicing your disagreement with the Federal raids in Montana regarding the marijuana dispensaries, right?” – Rehberg’s office.

Similar understanding from Tester’s office – they’re getting flooded with calls.

Keep up the polite voice, people! This is how we make a difference.

9. So I called the Washington D.C office of Denny Rehberg voiced my concern and at first the lady did the normal “Ill pass your message on.” then she seemed to get the point I was attempting to make. My Heart goes out to the men and women that run these despensaries. But the point i was arguing is the fact that sooner or later these raids will turn into a violent war and someone will be willing to give their lives to protect their properties and the rights of patients. sooner or later this WILL turn into a civil war, state laws-vs-Federal order. someone will shoot back and defend their homes or offices and there will be blood, not sure who’s but it will happen, then the next thing you see in the news is tighter gun control laws.

10. Rev. Phoenix says:

I have called all three offices this morning. I expected the usual ” I will let them know” reply. What I did NOT expect was that Sen. Tester’s office read my address back to me when I had not given it to them. Interesting, no?

11. BillS says:

Lets not forget Mike Cotter, the presidentially appointed US Attorney for the District of Montana, who ultimately calls the shots here in Montana.

12. 4cornersGrower says:

So, Ive called all three DC senator offices, and left polite feedback. Hopefully 30,000 like minds do the same, and its gets through. Otherwise, back to my family , and other providers as well, that were not raided. Are there pre emptive (spell?) things we should be doing today, ie like dumping cellphones, ipads, records, putting valuable assets in other peoples names???? Im am a legitimate provider, that makes a modest living, with a LLC from the secretary of state, but obviously so was everyone else who was raided, and taken for all there possessions. What would be the obvious to do list for us providers, to reduce this kind of total wipe out.

13. JD Junior says:

Kristen is looking to interview patients and caregivers (well dressed, well spoken) on camera in Helena ASAP.

Call Kristin Price at BNBC 457-2722

14. Scared says:

What will the Fed’s do with the patients records?

15. missoula provider says:

I am a local provider who also makes a moderate living at growing. Three years ago a 19 year girl hit my vehical from behind on the interstate, she was going 95 mph well because of this I now have a left titanium knee. The medicine I was on was terrible, I was told about cannibis by my doctor, here is what my doctor told me, ” you are a prime canadate for the cannabis program, or you can continue to use pain meds” I can get pain meds for the rest of my life, no problem, just a phone call, hell don’t even need to go in and see the doctor, just a phone call and I am hooked up, and now this. I started to grow because of what I was seeing happen concerning the canabiss program, how the people were getting ripped off, pushed aside etc, So I called Helena and asked then questions on what they thought should be done concerning growing, well after speaking to them are operation only produces what we need period. If one of my client’s only use’s say one ounce a month there is no need to grow six plant’s for that client, or I may need to grow only six plant’s because that’s all is needed to cover my client’s, the problem lies in access. I have been approched by some of the owner’s of some of the dispenceries here in Missoula only to shot them down immediatly because what they asking was not legal according to the Montana Medical Marijuana Law. Those kind of establishment’s should be taken out of the scene before guy’s like me are put out of bussiness and for what a few extra buck’s. Really how much money do you need. It’s alot more easier to do this legal then illegal, think about it we have a oppurtunity to change the stigma attached to this program, but it’s not going to happen like this

16. shocked patient says:

I called Tester’s office they said they did not know about this and did not seem happy either. Gov Sweitzer’s office said they were left out of the loop. I have been referred to the US ATTY’s office in Billings. I was told Leif would answer my questions …well got his voice mail should I hold my breath on being called back?
    I called the White House to ask about Obama’s 2009 statement not in the US best interest to raid dispensaries. and told I should write him a letter ..then told the address.
    What next?

17. super says:

made calls, wrote letters. not sure what else to do

18. Reason says:

Unfortunately, the persons/businesses involved in this travesty of justice, must respond legally by filing lawsuits for damages. There are quantifiable damages! And, all of the PATIENTS who will now suffer because of this crime should file a class-action lawsuits. OUR Sheriffs must have been very compelled to help these people out. I’d like to know why!

19. Canton says:

Anyone that is serious about making an impact should write a letter to the obama administration calling him out on his statement.Is he a man of Integrity or hypocrisy??

Write letters guys!!! Lets take action. If someone could post where to send the letters that would be great!

20. A Legit Grower says:

It is important for people to understand that at least in the case of Bozeman, these were not caregivers that were busted. They were a few of the businesses operating fully illegally. They were both a joke as far as any state law was concerned and hurt the industry in whole. They took advantage of a lack of enforcement, made money hand over fist for long enough and have now had their hands slightly slapped. MCM is not a legitimate MEDICAL provider. It stands for Montana Cannabis MINISTRY not MEDICAL. They were a branch of the the place in Hawaii that already had trouble with the feds. It was a mockery of what many of us take seriously and have spent time and money creating and protecting. Big Sky Patient Care was also NOT A CAREGIVER. They were operating as a collective and use a model that works in California but had no grounds to be operating under Montana Law. They simply were an intermediary using growers, (some with little to no patients) to provide product to them that they then turned around and sold to other growers patients. They were federally illegal, but more importantly they were state illegal.

I disagree with our federal stance on marijuana, and agree that the law here lacks any semblance of reality. But while some of us have stayed clear of the “gray areas” which aren’t as gray as some would like you to believe, these ones have blatantly tried to exploit the situation. Personally as someone that is spending considerable time and money making sure that this can be a long lasting legitimate industry in our state, I am happy to see some of the offenders go. Once we have people respecting the current laws, it will be easier for making the case in Helena that we can be a responsible industry.

Even this current press coverage is worse than it should be. Again, those two business I mention were NOT caregivers. Legitimate business are being lumped in with the criminals again. MCM should never be discussed in regards to Medicine nor should they be protected by that defense either. They have made the claim of religious freedom which may be what some of your wish to protect, but that is not where the energy of this movement needs to be directed. We need to be more adamant in pointing out to the public that most of us are not criminals and we do not need to be lumped in with every criminal marijuana bust in Montana.

21. keith says:

We need to surround the local Sherriffs office the nearest Dea offices & the local police need to know that we the public are tired of the tyrannical terrorism. They are robots. Last night in the U.S 2500 people died from the drugs they are enforcing us to take. Let’s not sugarcoat this anymore Legalized Genocide because the Feds say so, no question. “Take our drugs that kill or we will jail you for using your drug to heal” Ready for Action lets do this people!

22. Gary says:

How about HIPPA violation lawsuits? Or would the same folks be in charge of prosecuting those violations that sent out the raiders?
    Also, the Montana Legislature needs to pass a law forbidding local, county or state law enforcement personnel from assisting federal cops in enforcing federal laws. Our taxes pay their saleries. Why should state tax dollars be spent to assist federal agents enforce federal laws?

23. 4cornersGrower says:

…a legit grower, that does clear a little up for me. . thanks

24. Leonard Krivitsky, MD says:

Dogma does not give up easily, and there are some battles still ahead to be fought for cannabis freedom, but DEA and its allies have no moral position and, therefore, they will invariably lose in the end! I can’t wait to see the day when these shameful and senseless witch-hunts against citizens in connection with cannabis medicinal plant will stop altogether. I stressed many times already that no system, no matter of how repressive, can survive on a series of “un-realities”. Everything that the DEA and its allies use to intimidate citizens (and politicians) about the remarkable cannabis plant is based on unreality: cannabis is NOT physically addictive, the so-called “gateway drug theory” is NOT scientifically valid, smoking cannabis does NOT lead to increase in the risk of ling cancer, legalization in other countries did NOT lead to increased cannabis use, and in addition it is proven that cannabis use suppresses violent behavior. Cannabis is immeasurably safer than alcohol, (and most currently used prescription drugs – do we even notice their devastating potential side effects at their TV commercials?), and be so ignorant as to say that cannabis plant does not have medicinal value is to be out of touch with “reality” altogether. Legalization of medicinal cannabis is non-partisan because all of us can get sick and be able to take advantage of its remarkable medicinal properties. Let’s reject the prohibitionist fear-tactics as they have no substance to them, and legalize cannabis in all 50 States without further delay!

25. Leonard Krivitsky, MD says:

I predicted a long time ago that anti-cannabis repression will lead to increased hard drug and alcohol abuse because they are not “easily” detected in random drug screens, especially when it comes to the “window” of their detection. All these so-called “random drug screens” unfairly target the users of the safest substance of them all – cannabis! I can’t wait to see the day when these shameful and senseless witch-hunts against citizens in connection with cannabis medicinal plant will stop altogether. I stressed many times already that no system, no matter of how repressive, can survive on a series of “un-realities”. Everything that the DEA and its allies use to intimidate citizens (and politicians) about the remarkable cannabis plant is based on unreality: cannabis is NOT physically addictive, the so-called “gateway drug theory” is NOT scientifically valid, smoking cannabis does NOT lead to increase in the risk of ling cancer, legalization in other countries did NOT lead to increased cannabis use, and in addition it is proven that cannabis use suppresses violent behavior. Cannabis is immeasurably safer than alcohol, (and most currently used prescription drugs – do we even notice their devastating potential side effects at their TV commercials?), and be so ignorant as to say that cannabis plant does not have medicinal value is to be out of touch with “reality” altogether. Legalization of medicinal cannabis is non-partisan because all of us can get sick and be able to take advantage of its remarkable medicinal properties. Let’s reject the prohibitionist fear-tactics as they have no substance to them, and legalize cannabis in all 50 States without further delay!

26. Racheal hansen says:

What are they going to next take our freedom? Oh i forgot thats what they are doing right now!We as the people need to speak out before we are all confined to our homes and get a curfew!

27. lisas says:

i just want to know why our state law enforcement was involved. anyone with any common sense should of seen it coming from the feds, thats what they do. lull them into feeling safe then bust them. but i do know from talking to people that this is a really mislead state. most apparently didnt bother reading the law thoroughly and believe whatever their caregiver or clinic docor says. legitimate patient/docor relationships, only providing for your own patients, patients only getting from their chosen caregiver, stuff like that. if we dont follow the law, we cant really defend it. if we as a people want to make this work we need to do this right