All my politically-connected friends keep telling me that our most recent election is a catastrophe for medical marijuana. The Republicans, who have a majority in both legislative houses in Montana, seriously considered opening the debate with a proposal (sure to win) to either 1) erase medical marijuana from the books, or 2) send it back to the media en-flamed hysterical voters. There is no guarantee that the voters would support the same law, today.
That said, my politically-savvy friends also say that outright appeal is possible, yes, but unlikely.
Of course, our message and goal is that Marijuana Legalization is the Best Thing For Patients. Really, the current controversy in Montana is not about the “marijuana” part of medical marijuana — the problem is the “medical” part, right?
There is no doubt that marijuana will cause vigorous debates in Helena (check out the proposed bills so far) when the legislature convenes in ~45 days. Whether you think that cannabis is a precious medicine for the sick and dying, or a sacred herb that should be available to all, or all of the above, I hope you’ll take a moment and register your location at http://mjdb.montanadrugpolicy.org — this is the primary way we’ll be reaching out to concerned citizens about the upcoming legislative mayhem. Click, register, make a difference, easy.
One of the challenges for medical marijuana preservation is that there are still lots of honest health care professionals who just haven’t been presented with the information that is available on cannabis’ medical benefits. How can you help?
Buy a copy of the 86-page booklet, Emerging Clinical Applications for Cannabis and Cannabinoids: A Review of the Scientific Literature 2000-2010, and tell us which health-care professional you’d like us to send it to. Or, join a recent anonymous donor in donating $100 to fund the sending of booklets out statewide.
Finally, a bit of gossip. We got a tip this morning that the offices of Jason Christ’s Montana Caregivers Network in Missoula were being raided. I walked over to the MCN office personally, and saw Missoula Police and Missoula County Deputies, and Jason in the middle, smiling and talking.
I anticipate there will be some dramatic media coverage soon, and that’s all I know so far.
Speaking of sensationalistic coverage, here’s the news:
Various Marijuana News
- Billings medical marijuana cardholder(?) has a bad night – break one law at a time (aka, “This medical marijuana thing is is out of control!”)
- Montana NORML: Marijuana Legalization is the Best Thing For Patients
- Brace yourself – a mess of Montana medical marijuana rewrites is headed our way.
- Hamilton man gets deferred sentence in beating of marijuana thief
- Mailed marijuana results in felony charge for Billings woman
- Columbia Falls: Sometimes marijuana comes to high school!
- Montana News Summary: Medical marijuana stories abound
- Time Magazine: How Marijuana Got Mainstreamed
- Despite marijuana cookie, man found mentally fit to stand trial for attempted murder
- Wanna be an MTV reality show “star”? Contact us, they are doing a show about young people in the medical marijuana industry in Montana.
- Montana Cannabis works on opening store in Sidney area
- Montana cannabis politics: good old fashioned values
A moment of silence now, for the Montana outdoor plants that didn’t make it through the cold this week, and the Montana grown-ups who got busted this week.